Sunday, January 24, 2010

A Desert Island Series of Musical Interludes III

In the year of 1983 my father died. At that time I was estranged from my now wife. We weren’t married then and having had her throw me out I was adrift. It was a couple of year period when I was having a time out for my bad behavior.

One night that year I was on the Outer Banks pretty much alone and trying to sort some things out. Well after a couple days of behaving very badly at a friend’s wedding I found myself making a phone call from a telephone booth out in the middle of nowhere trying to get in touch with my now wife. I think I got an answering machine. It was about as lonely a time as I can remember. I really didn’t like myself or where I was headed. But I was a bit headstrong and as of that time not very repentant. Not really.

This song is a wistful thing. It is really talking about the cost of a woman being secure in herself. Still there are lines that just paint a picture in my mind of that trip and that sense of separation I felt from pretty much everyone I thought I had loved. It is a great song and every single time I hear it I can see the phone booth and the Atlantic Ocean not but a couple of hundred yards away that night some 25 + years ago.





2 comments:

ONEWORLD said...

Boy, I am glad she took you back!

gmanitou said...

Hmmh, let me ask my foot about that. Yeah all is forgiven according to the wounded dog.