Friday, January 22, 2010

A Desert Island Series of Musical Interludes I

Over the next two weeks I am going to schedule a desert island series of videos to post. These are songs that represent artists who would be in my desert island ipod mix. These songs and artists represent the music I love because I am who I am. Maybe my choices will reveal more about me than I am intending, but so be it.

The music I listen to most is acoustic, soft and normally is presented as a ballad. The singers have rich voices or maybe just unique voices. The songs normally tell a story that matters or that touches me. In some cases I know the reason, in others I don’t.

My guess as I start this is that Youtube may have some of the songs and some of the artists but not in the combination I truly want. So there will be problems. Hopefully this works well enough and through the serendipity of doing this I create a fun series of posts.

I start with the woman who changed my musical tastes forever. Joni Mitchell's record For the Roses changed what I wanted from music. Judgment of the Moon and Stars is my all time favorite. This is a decent enough video and the sound quality is very good. My original intent had been to put a song called Refuge of the Roads up because it is far more accessible. It is from a later album during her foray into LA jazz. While the links I found were personally interesting I couldn’t find a decent copy that held up as a piece that others would be interested in, even a little bit. As a result I had to wonder if this my true favorit was out there. It is the music, not the video that matters.

2 comments:

Susan said...

Context: I read somewhere thta this song was about James Taylor.

gmanitou said...

My understanding was that the whole album was about their tumultuous relationship. Most particularly the song For the Roses itself stands out. It seems that Mr. Taylor's alleged problems with narcotics was a major source of friction.

Me I was drawn to the latter part of the song. It talks about living with passion despite personal burdens/personal deficits. These lyrics are the ones I come back to time and time again when I am feeling frustrated by my limitations as a human being.

Revoked but not yet canceled
The gift goes on
In silence
In a bell jar
Still a song ...
You’ve got to shake your fists at lightning now
You’ve got to roar like forest fire
You’ve got to spread your light like blazes
All across the sky
They’re going to aim the hoses on you
Show ’em you won’t expire
Not till you burn up every passion
Not even when you die
Come on now
You’ve got to try
If you’re feeling contempt
Well then you tell it
If you’re tired of the silent night
Jesus, well then you yell it
Condemned to wires and hammers
Strike every chord that you feel
That broken trees
And elephant ivories
Conceal