Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Near Sooke-For Susan




A long time ago I went for a drive seeking out a place I had never been. On a road between somewhere and somewhere else I made a turn and found a piece of God’s world. It was a place sculpted by human hands that at that moment in time in the decay of an old farm homestead had transcended into a statement of beauty beyond description. Each time I hear Sting singing:

Many years have passed since those summer days
Among the fields of barley
See the children run as the sun goes down
Among the fields of gold
You'll remember me when the west wind moves
Upon the fields of barley
You can tell the sun in his jealous sky
When we walked in the fields of gold
When we walked in the fields of gold

When we walked in the fields of gold

Today as I remember this time I am warmed by the memory. My soul now is more troubled than it has been in a long time. Warm memories marked by these pictures allow quiet to come to me. I believe there will be many more of these memories to come and that makes all the difference on a blue day.

If you are even on Vancouver Island on the road to Sooke coming from Victoria look for the small park on the water side of the road, it is worth it.

5 comments:

ONEWORLD said...

I love the picts Jay, and the wood roses...I have some transplanted and marvelously overgrown in my back yard.

Why is your mind troubled? Mine has been to, a general unease about things. I think the USA is dying.

John and Vicki Boyd said...

Maybe part of the problem is that all we hear is negative. Fall is coming, it's getting colder, and the economy is a shit stew.

But other than that, we're on top of the ground, rather than under it. And that's a good thing.

Cheer up, JTTodd.

Richard said...

"...Strange, isn't it? Each man's life touches so many other lives. When he isn't around he leaves an awful hole, doesn't he? You see, (JTT) you really had a wonderful life."
The Angel Clarence from "It's a Wonderful Life"

Know what I'm saying, pal?

ONEWORLD said...

Maybe it is Erickson's ego integrity vs despair. Even so, NAFTA is from satan and is the beginning of the end of the USA. We are becoming a service nation rather than a manufacturing nation and everybody knows that auto workers make more than waiters. I am afraid.

How did I go from Jay's lovely gift of "Near Sooke" to the state of the union? I AM NOT RANDOM!!!!

John and Vicki Boyd said...

You're not random like Jay's not a foodie!! Or Francie not a saint!!