Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Immerse Yourself in the Waters of Knowledge

Reading is something that no adult should ever give up. It is easy to find reasons why not to read. I have used one or two of them myself. One common avoidance tool is that for someone in a paper pushing trade like mine it is a bit of a busman’s holiday. Yeah, well whatever. The second you stop reading is the second you lose vitality. Your mind atrophies. You become part of the past.

What I read has shifted. I have moved from the political world/the freak show of the 60s to the more universal themes. Instead of reading “Steal This Book” I am reading Victor Hugo. Why, because as I age and as I raise children these greater theme books have more resonance to me. Classic layered fiction and philosophy books are the stuff that gets me engaged into being in place in this world.

Read, this is today’s public service announcement from the Spirit of the Lake.

2 comments:

Sue Schimmel Ward said...

Here. I'll stick this quote here, too. It's from a favorite site: StoryPeople.

"If I ran the world, he told me, I'd pretty much leave it alone & spend my time reading & I'd advise other people to do the same. Which is why I'll probably never run the world, he said."

ONEWORLD said...

Okay boss.