Friday, January 3, 2014

Day 3 of 365 (On Reading Poetry in the Winter)


Sometimes a single line of a poem can send you off in a reverie of delight. In searching for inspiration this morning I was looking for a poem called Ceremonial Song XIII by Pablo Neruda. I could find it but what I did find was a poem called In My Sky At Twilight. The opening line is, “In my sky at twilight you are like a cloud and your form and color are the way I love them.”

 Sometimes even in translation the words of this poet just touch my soul. The passion that he conveys in simple words, simple phrasings explains why he was a Nobel laureate. When I think of him sitting staring as a long fading sunset over some port in some city in one of the many places he travelled it makes me envious. To have been filled with such creativity and to have struck out into the world with such an open eye it is just moving. 

 I note that this morning when I was dressing in the dark at 7:20 a.m. the air temperature was seven degrees below zero. The contrast between this and the world the poet depicts also makes that cloud (and longing) at what I am assuming was a warm tropical twilight even more subject to my envy. Don’t take my word for it, go and read the poem, http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/in-my-sky-at-twilight

No comments: