Sunday, January 12, 2014

Day 12 of 365 (Sunday)




Listening to the radio today started my morning. As my scanning of the programing occurred I focused on one choice.  There on that set of audio waves I heard the story of the McIntosh Red apple. Little did I know this variety came from the region of Ontario that lies along the St. Lawrence near Montreal.  Had I known that I might have sought ought the fruit’s farm of origin. Last summer the family and I were about 10 miles from its location.  When you turn up to go to Ottawa coming from the west the road that cuts up to Canada’s center of power is just a stone’s throw from Williamsburg.  Williamsburg is the place from whence the once most popular of apples came from.  


When Sunday morning comes around I listen to odd audio streams.  I don’t want to hear news.  There is enough talk of pain and disaster in any given week.  What I want on Sunday morning is an insight into small things.  What I want on Sunday morning is something that diverts me from my cares and concerns.


A favorite program, and I have mentioned this before, is the Vinyl Café on CBC.  In this week’s edition of the program the host was talking about his commission twenty years earlier to write a book about small town Canada. As is the way it seems with all things like this his publishers wanted to mirror a book that had been down about small town USA by a noted and well regarded arm chair travel writer.

Williamsburg had been one of the 8 towns the radio host had focused on.  He made a short trip there to scout if it met his criteria. Mr. McLean felt that this place was the best of the lot.  Thus as those of us who like to savor things do he reserved it for last.  Well when he had finished up the writing on the first seven towns the author had more than enough in the way of pages and words to complete a manuscript.  His publisher being frugal cut him from any more travel.  Williamsburg was the chapter left unwritten.


Mr. McLean mused about how many chapters get left unwritten.  He focused on the fact that the Macintosh apple was simply one of many cultivars of the fruit growing in the area when it became the focus of horticultural development. He mused that those other trees growing along the river were other unwritten chapters.   They probably were fine cultivars, wonderful in their own right but now lost to us.


Sunday is a good day to muse about unwritten chapters and roads not taken.  Such musing need not be grand thoughts of what could have been. It can be as simple as a longing to have returned to a roadside park visited long ago and wondering why you have never gone back. Last night Francie dug about on the internet looking for a place in British Columbia that we has visited about a decade ago.  It was an abandoned farm along the coast across from Sooke.  It was a place of beautiful fields and an amazing beach.  Having been there once I always thought I would be going back someday.  Hasn’t worked out that way.  Ah but it was nice to have gone.

No comments: