Thursday, January 2, 2014

Day 2 of 365 (Cold Snow on a Day Following the New Year)




Last night the Michigan State Spartan Football team won the Rose Bowl. It is something the entire community appears to have rallied around. The Spartans are a brutal old style football team coming from a school whose students have traditionally been blue collar middle class offspring. I salute the Spartans and their coach. 

 After a year where the home city of Michigan State University lost power for almost the entire Christmas season it is a joy to have something to celebrate. It is wonderful to pound one fist against my chest and say I am a Spartan, Class of ’78. 

 Obviously I personally had nothing to do with the victory. It is simple a moment when the colors that I have draped around my education, green and white, have a little more national resonance. It was a day to forget all the other stuff in life for once and just enjoy the bread and circuses.

No comments: