Friday, August 9, 2019

Do You Think I Could be Soxy?



“‘Twas gonna write a longer piece tonight but my emotions derailed me.  My feelings arise from nothing about me.  My son might be having vision issues.  This is of concern. A visit with an optometrist has been set.  You know that when it rains thing, it  is pouring right now.

I had made a small business important decision when I picked the date on which I would retire.  At that moment I decided I would begin to rebel.  Small things would be my field of uprising.  I have always refused a uniform that involved more that a tie and button down shirt.  Other’s wear expensive suits.  In years past I would  maybe, but not now.  

The easiest form of rebellion was my socks.  I have been looking at both shoes and sox from a company called Soxy.  I really like their made in Portugal foot ware. The ones I really want have neon colored soles and laces to match.  But oh gosh, $200 for a pair of shoes, nope. 

Their socks are something different. They are bright. They are stripped.  They are jigsaw pieces.  Still, for these socks there is sticker shock.  I decided that I would respond by shopping retail nearby.  Funny that.  I found one store that had some decently made socks with a unique nature to there.  Ergo, the avocado socks above. 

Every single day I make sure to put on a pair of the most outrageous socks I can find. So adorned off to work I head.  The road to the end of this work-a-day existence is going to be colorful.

Ah cancer.

When they told me I had a tumor I literally said, “Fuck it, the goatee is coming back”. I have been working photos of my grisly rabbit warren of facial hair onto my Facebook page. I have been keeping it trimmed.  I don’t have the genetics to grow much in the way of factual hair.  Don’t know why, it just is. Still, a goatee I can manage.

For the run up to surgery I am just going to let the face fuzz keep growing.  I may in actually buy the socks from Soxy.  I might even get the shoes. To quote Bryan Ferry, I am going to, “Dance away the heartache, dance away the tears, dance away the heartache and dance away the fears.”

Oh yeah, I got the word today my surgery will be in Ann Arbor on October 1, 2019.  I will be having part of my left kidney removed.  I have not had the guts to call my current doctor to let him know I am going to have someone else conduct the surgery. I will call on Monday.

 Seven weeks.  I will try to make each day count, just in case.

A post script.  As I type this I am listening to a live version of Jealous Guy by Roxy Music.  Music has meant, and means, so much to me.  I would urge you if you are reading this to make sure you listen to some music tonight. It could be Euro art jazz or gritty swamp blues.  Whatever just fill you mind with a joyful sound.

No comments: