Thursday, January 3, 2019

At the Turning of the Year of our Lord 2019


January 1, 2019

 

No resolutions this year. My wife has suggested a goals concept that is more interesting. She read it in a tweet. (I am on Twitter, but I don’t use it, I struggle with it.) The concept is to create a month by month calendar and simply list three goals for that month. As I gather from my discussion with her of the thread, these should be reasonable rational goals. February’s goal should not include “To Have Lost Fifty Pounds by the end of the Month.”

 

I think I will try to do this. I will post some or all of these goals in a near future post.

 

Do I have hopes for the coming year? Well of course I do. Do I believe they will all be achieved? Well of course not. Do I think it is a good thing at the turning of the year to think of the long range? Yes.

 

Buddhists and new age prophets all assert we should be present in the moment. At ah so many times I am aware that I am living in the moment but that I am not fully present in the moment. I have one foot in the here and now and one foot on six months from now. My third foot is firmly planted in the past.

 

At 62 I don’t want to think too far ahead. But it is important to think about direction and what we hope will be the outcome of our acts and labors. Such thinking should not take on a life of its own but to live in the moment we must look at both the past and what may come to be.

 

One year and three days from now and I will stop doing the wage slave thing. This assumes no tsunami like life events in the meantime. I must be setting goals, I want the next act to have meaning and the transition to be smooth.

 

Best of the New Year to you all.

No comments: