Saturday, May 20, 2017

Saturday's Sleeping World


When I awoke I thought I had enjoyed a good long night’s sleep.  My Fitbit told me a different story.  Pert its electronic tabulation of my slumbers I had garnered less than six hours of sleep.  I was in bed by 10:30 p.m. and I awoke at 5:55 a.m.  These hours spent in the sack should have put me in the 6+ hour’s range of sleep.  Six hours is roughly the minimum I need to be functional.  Instead my log showed about 5 hours and 15 of sleep.  I don’t know; it seems like I must have been restless and not realized it. 

It was a cool night I should have slept well. 

When I was up I was up however.  I had showered and was making the breakfast for three by about 6:20.  Oatmeal for my wife and me.  It was liberally sprinkled with banana slices and apple chunks.  Fresh baked biscuits and ham were set out for the boy.  At the end of the meal I just set the dishes in the sink.  Later, later, much-much later I will attend to the clean-up.

My feet hit the pavement early.  By Saturday 6:59 a.m. I was six minutes into my 40 minute walk. The roads were quiet. Seemed like everybody was sleeping in today. Not a car was in sight. No sounds did I hear but those of squirrels and birds. I did hear one gas line at the side of an older house.  Otherwise there was nothing that suggested the normal busyness of humanity was ready to take hold and grab the day.

Really can't blame people for trying to get the most out of a Saturday morning. At week’s end most of us are beat down exhausted. Doesn't matter what kind of job you work at. Your boss always wants more. Life stresses outside of the productivity squeezing office are always increasing. People have no margins anymore. There is no dead time because with modern electronics we are always accessible.

Morning train whistle blew from the south east at great distance. Mournful and low, it that low steady tone brought memories of Johnny Cash songs.

Hopefully people were bunched up under their down covers on the 45° morning.  Hopefully there were sleeping in and getting a full eight hours. Me I walked on, it is what I do.

No comments: