Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Clouds in the West


Cloudy dark skies sit off to my west. On a normal day, the near certainty from such clouds would be a hard rain is coming.

Looking at the weather map shows today is not a normal day.  Positioned to our south is a system that will push up and push up with force. The westerly clouds will be driven far north. Tracking says the storm is heading into the upper regions of Ontario.  The nasty weather will follow a vector across Lake Michigan and through the Straits of Mackinaw striking a largely uninhabited boreal forest.  Uninhabited I mean sparsely populated by human beings.  Big things are in those woods, bear and moose and critters of their ilk. Big things with fur and hairy hides don’t check the Weather Channel frequently for updates, the weather just is and the situation is always changeable.

With the passing of the storm front the air here will grow cooler.  Today the temperature, in May mind you, flirted with the 90-degree mark.  In an average summer, we only get a handful of 90 degree days. This is the second time in this month of May, mid-spring, that we have touched that rare number. 

I am not a scientist, and I don’t play one on TV, but a whole bunch of researchers and experts say we have changed the climate of the earth.  A small few say this is just a natural cycle and will play itself out.  Like I said I am not a scientist but some pretty smart people are saying that Michigan might well be the place to be in 50 years. 

Damn I am always leaving the party too soon, before the good stuff happens. You know this is just like that time the bar maid went topless at Mark’s house at 3 a.m. and held sparklers up in the backyard.  Well, global warming and Michigan probably won’t be that much of a fun combination but I will still miss it by several decades. 

Born too soon or born too late that is my fate.

Only good thing came out of being born when the year I was.  I got was the late 1970s.  Beer was legal for 18 year olds and pot was everywhere.  The pill was widely used and HIV/AIDS was not on the horizon.  These combined factors meant that even homely guys like myself were getting laid regularly.  Yeah, being here for the 1970s beat being here for global warming.





No comments: