Monday, September 30, 2013

Walking Home




An autumn night last night made me think about why I love Michigan so very much. As I was walking home from the evening service at my church the light was fading. There were smells of open fires hanging in the air. Leaves, still crunchy and brittle were underfoot at a couple of points. The majority of the leaves are still in the trees but they are beginning to show those gorgeous colors that make this part of the year so special. There is one tree variety whose leaves just turn almost purely gold; in the evening’s onset under the streetlights that sort of glow.

 And then as I approached our community center I saw the aura of the light fading in the west over the building. Such light combined with the smell of the fires, the crunch of the leaves and well the flag just made it fell like the America I grew up in. I felt filled with hope for a few moments. Thought it was long ago if felt almost like I was walking home after a session preparing for a church play.
 

No comments: