Monday, September 16, 2013

Movie (Moving) Weekend

Monday, September 16, 2013 The weekend was a mixed bag. Most of it was spent mired in the mundane. A few months back some water poured in a window and flooded a part of the basement that usually never sees water. I ended up having to hall all the bankers boxes up from there and replace them. This time instead of cardboard I went with sturdy plastic. Again the repetitive acts of pulling boxes up stairs, transferring their contents to dry boxes and them returning them to the basement was not rocket science but it did eat up a great deal of time. I took part of Saturday morning and walked through the bacchanalia that is a home football game tailgate. It was packed and the spirits were pretty high. It still amazes me to see that much alcohol use that early in the day. I think I walked for about an hour and ½ through the festivities. Still there is a certain fun to being in the midst of all the hopeful exuberance that pervades those parking lots and grass lawns covered with tents and people decked out in the home team colors. Movies played a part in the weekend also. I went and saw The Family, Luc Besson’s new movie. I laughed uncontrollable at times. The critics went 60/40 against it but I think they really didn’t get exactly how dark the humor was supposed to be. Richard Roper of the Chicago Sun-Times offered in his September 12, 2013 review: This is a deliberately off-kilter, cheerfully violent, hit-and-miss effort with just enough moments of inspiration to warrant a recommendation — especially if you know what you’re getting into. There’s a lot of pretty sick humor in “The Family,” and if the sight of severed digits and random psychotic assaults isn’t your cup of blood-red wine, keep moving, nothing to see here. There came a point where I was laughing so hard and the woman behind me was laughing so hard I could barely stop. And then I realized that only about 25% of the audience was laughing. It was that way through the whole movie. To those depraved among you it is worth a viewing. I also watched a very little movie on Showtime call A Beginner’s Guide to Endings. Cute film shot in St. Catherines, Ontario with Harvey Keitel and J.K. Simmons. Is there a single show or movies that J.K. Simmons is not in? This movie will not be everyone cups of tea (did I mention it was Canadian) but it is a hoot. Some of the dialog is just great. Okay enough of the movie reviews. I apologize for not posting more. Getting Primus off to college and getting into the rhythm of life without him (sort of-he comes home each weekend) has taken a bit of adaptation. I will try not to stay way so long going forward.

No comments: