Saturday, September 28, 2013

My Brother and his Books



So last Monday night I was standing around a small backyard fire with my nephews.  Some alcohol was being consumed. Some was being thrown on the flames just to watch it go whoosh in a mini-fireball.  As God is my witness I had only one shot of single malt scotch.  But I digress.  

As we stood around the flames coming from that little fire pit in the early hours of the a.m., the scent of burning pine and scrub brush sank into our jeans and t-shirts. To me it seemed like everyone wanted to hear a memory brought up about John, something that they didn’t know.  It was a communal act of searching for information that would explain a little bit more of the man whom he had been.

On that dark North Carolina night I was not of much use. With an aching heart I was just focused on getting through that moment without completely losing, not the history of my brother’s life.  As the week has gone on I have gone back over the big memories I have of my brother and while there are a number of them, one or two stick out for me.  One that comes to mind is something I discovered when I spent maybe 10 days with him in New York outside of Schenectady.  

It was summer and my parents wanted me out of my house and out of my hometown.  My guess is that they were at their wits end.  At best the phrase “an awkward child” captures what they had to deal with as they were approaching their mid fifties.  Whether they asked or alternatively if John offered I was packed up and sent off to New York with my big brother for a couple of weeks.  

At that time to the best of my memory John was living in a small apartment.  It might have been a four-plex or maybe eight units.  There was no pool, there was no swing set and I was scared shitless to just head off down the road walking.  I was on first impression a prisoner.

Of the people in the other apartments I remember there was a guy who was studying entomology at SUNY at Albany.  He intellectual focus was Africanized bees. This had to be 1968-ish.  Well anyhow this gent was just beside himself because the killer bees had just gotten a toe hold in the northern states of Mexico. He had been hearing there were incursions into Texas.  Best I can figure the guy must have been a graduate assistant in bug land.  He and somebody’s wife were the only people I really remember being around in the day.
The other reason I remember this guy was because he gave me a book to read about how the visions of the Old Testament prophets could be explained away by astronomy and space phenomena.  I read it.  Again if you haven’t guessed there were no kids my age hanging around during the day.

But thought of reading that book is what triggered my memory.  My brother John had an L shaped bookcase that fit into the corner of his office area in the apartment. For a bored kid that thing was the Holy Grail.  On the bookcase the titles ranged from the sacred to the profane. Those shelves were lined with existential masterpieces like The Stranger and The Fall by Camus.  I remember a Sartre title but I am not sure which one. In addition there were pop pulp titles like Rosemary’s Baby by Ira Levin.  There on the bottom shelf sat the impenetrable volumes of Will and Ariel Durant’s The Story of Civilization.  Beat classics like On the Road and Naked Lunch were part of the diverse collection.  James Joyce was represented.

The collected works were in the words of the day hip.  Add to those titles I have mentioned already a slew of volumes published by Grove Press.  For those of you too young to remember there was a time when books having fairly explicit sexual themes were banned in this country.  It took a long time to get Ulysses published here. Grove was the company that had the stones to put these books out there so that readers could make up their own minds as to the artistic merit of the work.  Pablo Neruda’s poetry first found its way here via Grove. Copies of Evergreen magazine were there too. Evergreen was very, very hip juxtapositioing Supreme Court Justice Douglas’s scholarly ruminations with a photo shoot of a naked, really naked woman frolicking about.

But here is the deal, John loved books.  He loved learning and acquiring knowledge.  He hadn’t bought these just to be cool.  He read this stuff and he thought about this stuff.  I remember a dinner party where he and this woman who was part of a couple with a friend of his got into it over some arcane point of existential philosophy.  The passion, the conviction and the fire in that argument came from what he had digested reading this stuff. Well that and genetics. Well that genetics and on that particular occasion, tequila. Todd men love to argue, we hate to lose and we hold a grudge. Also there might be the teeniest predisposition toward alcohol abuse, yeah we’ll call it abuse.

In its day that bookcase was the coolest thing ever to me.  Sitting around and reading title after title might have sucked for some kids, but this was great stuff and it rocked my world.  It was my equivalent to Springsteen’s “Finding the key to the universe in the engine of an old parked car.” I pulled volumes off that shelf and devoured them.  From Rosemary’s baby to the Fall I just spent those days there reading.  I don’t think that journey alone was the catalyst for my intellectual pursuits but it played a roll. Yeah in the day my big brother had a mind that was active and engaged.  He read and he formed opinions, some of them quite strong. He was passionate and knowledgeable.  

On one of his moves he either sold or left that bookcase at my parents place.  When my Mom died the choice was to either yard sale it, throw it out or find it a good home.  Well I couldn’t let that bookcase go.  It was something that was special to me.  It was special because of the ideas my brother had crammed onto it shelves.  Only problem is I don’t have a room that it fits into right now and so it languishes in my basement with a beer bottle capper and a couple of old speakers taking up its shelf space.  

What can I say, John kept his mind engaged.  He was smart and he was always asking questions. I think that is a pretty good memory to have.

No comments: