Sunday, January 27, 2013

Tell Me a Story Please



My early life was spent surrounded by a large family.  Every week we gathered at my grandmother’s home and had a meal with 30 or so people present.  The older people and some of the younger ones had a gift for storytelling.  It was not the kind of storytelling you get from standup where after a slight build up the comedian inserts a four letter word and everyone with their glazed looks laugh.  

It was the kind of story telling where the person relating the tale showed something of what they were.  The tale might be true or a damn lie or confabulation but it was like listening to a tale that Gabriel Garcia Marquez might write.  I loved it and it became part of me.  Methinks that if you actually have read some of the tales on this blog you get that I was touched by the story telling bug.

There are some places left out there where this kind of story telling still exists.  Two that stand out for me are the Moth Radio Hour on NPR and the Vinyl Café on CBC.  I only discovered the Vinyl Café this morning.  I heard the narrator tell a long story about breaking friend out of hospital for a cup of coffee.  I was laughing heartily before the narrative was over.  If you want to hear that one, go to this link and start it at about the half way mark.

 
If you just want to explore the real treasure that is the Vinyl Café go here.


No comments: