Friday, January 11, 2013

Genius Still Bright and Radiant

Friday, January 11, 2013


Yesterday was a busy day and I did not have an opportunity to finish all my work. My musings this morning thus must be short and sweet. I have been searching for a copy of the compact disk “Nighthawks at the Diner” to play from Primus and Secundus in the car. Primus loves Tom Waits especially the darker, scarier later stuff. Secundus is used to the material but doesn’t complain.

I decided have travelled down memory lane to dig it out. Alas my CD collection is in complete disarray. I can’t find anything except South African Township music or Leonard Cohen tribute records. Not what I had in mind for this morning. Looking aside I found the Beach Boys “Pet Sounds”. Ah what the hell I thought why not.

When I got into the car I skipped the disk up to track seven almost immediately. Secundus was blown away. As the intertwined harmonies of “Sloop John B,” drew to a close he was asking as if he were a teletubbie “Again, again!” I let the disk roll into “God Only Knows,” and he was all, “This is okay too.”

And then we were at the school and he went away humming. It was such a great feeling to see that an album that is almost 50 years old has so much staying power. Every generation may throw a hero up the pop charts but there are some works of genius that will endure.



No comments: