Friday, January 25, 2013

Please Get Real and Face Your Addiction, Really.

Alcohol leaves human bodies at a relatively standard rate. For a normal man (I know that is an oxymoron) the rate is about .015 an hour. For women the rate is slightly higher nearing .020 per hour. A person with serious alcohol dependency issue may have a rate approaching .030 per hour.


While not immutable these rates are pretty damn on the mark. Studies have shown that even using a 95% solution of alcohol will not produce positive breath alcohol readings past 19 minutes duration if the solution is an oral only contact. Cheese sandwiches and pizza don’t give readings that start at .033 BAC and drop to .006 over and hour and a thirty three. With woman’s expulsion rate of .020 these readings are the textbook demonstration of alcohol leaving the body.


Still the people I see swear the breath testing machine is wrong and that they aren’t drinking alcohol despite this reading coming at the start of a day following a holiday. As I challenge them about this set of facts they get louder. It is as if they think yelling is somehow going to make the empiric evidence somehow less real. Arggh.


You can lie to me about what you believe, about what is in your heart, about your motivations and about anything subjective. Bottom line I am relatively soft on challenging these lies. I am willing to give you the benefit of a doubt But you cannot lie about what science is telling me you did six times over 11 months when you tried to start your car because the data is clear you had alcohol in your system. At some point you have to get honest and deal with your addiction.




1 comment:

Lisa said...

you are so right. I get this daily, and daily i prove the pbt correct by demonstration using myself (of course i pop all zero's) . I am over it....but will probably continue my demonstrations to keep peace in the agency.