Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Walking in Light

Over the past week I've been walking the last 10 minutes' distance to work. This has not come about by accident. My cardiologist mentioned that I had gained 10 pounds. He was not pleased. I told him that I have not been feeling well enough for extended walks. He responded by pointing out that it's a very nasty cycle. Do the exercise or lose the ability to do the exercise.

Off I went. I've been walking every day unless the rain is pouring.

Today as I am walking the air temperature is at 34°. That's relatively cold for April. I have my hands stuffed in my pockets. One hand is holding onto a coffee cup trying to make sure it does not spill in my down vest. At least that hand is warm.

As I am walking I am watching the light play off the trees, the bushes, the road surface and the tinted glass of the office building windows. Traveling by car you forget the little pockets of illumination that are hidden along a mile of roadway. You just flash by with no focus on what's around you. Walking the flow of light, the legacy of light is before you at every step.

It can be in a small puddle near a curb cut or it could be in the light playing around bushes at the edge of the property boundary that you see it. There is something of the divine to be captured in the morning's light.

No comments: