Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Out of the Mud

The fact that life is change has been noted by so many writers, poets and singers over the years that the concept of transformation and alteration has become wallpaper to our reality. Such a state of affairs is very, very dangerous. The reality of change becoming merely background noise in a popular series of couplets deludes us into thinking there will be another time, another opportunity to say hello or goodbye, to act to ameliorate a hurt or to give a helping hand. But today or maybe even this moment might in actuality be the only chance or the last chance or even the last best chance for the action contemplated.
As I sat in my governmental meeting last night amongst those with agendas so divergent as to make our discourse seem like a John Cage piece, I thought of acts I left undone or things I have left unsaid over the years. I cannot make any difference on the vast majority of things I cataloged as I watched the political theatre play out before me. However I can again make a promise to myself this day to do the thing that needs to be done in a timely way. If only one thing is improved so long as nothing is made worse I will have made the world a better place.

Kurt Vonnegut said and I am paraphrasing here is the thing that makes us different is that we made a choice to get up out of the mud and to do something. Makes sense to me. My hope is that the something we do will be moral and good.

No comments: