Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Norman Vincent Peale Made it Look Easy

Motivation isn't easy, ever, not when you are trying to be Dale Carnegie to two diametrically different audiences. Motivation is illusive for teen. Motivation plumb eludes an ASD teen. Enthusiasm escapes into the ether for an ADD teen. Their future is thus what?
In trying to suss out this disparate duos hopes and dreams and to maybe get a idea that would spark some impetus toward studying, I played a Dad generated twenty question game. Where do you want to live? What kind of job do you want? Do you have a particular car you favor? What would it take for you to live comfortably?
Primus wants to live in an urban environment but and this is the key without many people. Secundus wants to live a life out on the stage. One never looks inward. One never looks outward. One never sees trauma or turmoil or worries about it. The other is frozen by what ifs and what should be and what should have been.
I posed the question to Primus do you want to ever get married? The answer was unequivocal. No. Why not I inquired? What do you have against marriage? His reply was that it is too boring! You think Mom and I are boring? Oh yeaaaah. Low hanging fruit, I should never have left that one out there.



So I ask the other one do you want to get married. The answer was a little different. “Like I would ever tell you.”
To the ASD child that is Primus I suggested his choice of locale leaves you certain areas of Detroit or the warehouse districts in most cities in which to reside. You will be living among the muggers and ne'er do wells. Shrug.
I continued, “You understand Mom and I will not be letting you live here after you graduate from high school right? We'd like to get back to some of the things in our lives we lost when we had you like camping.” The ASD child asks, “Is that what they call it when they let you visit each other in your separate rooms at the home.” “Will they let you put up tents inside Shady Glen?” he inquires.
“You are changing the topic,” I say. I ruminated you don't get to go anywhere if you don't have the grades. You get to be a bagger at a hyper mart. You get to ask Regular or Menthol and let me see your ID as you press down on the button and say "Pump one, your card didn't clear you have to prepay."
Arggh.
If you haven’t guessed it Martin Luther King Day was motivation for finals day for Primus and Secundus. It was the onset of major depression for Dad.

No comments: