Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Going, going, gone....


On my phone there is a timer doing a countdown. The current position stands at the number above. As you can see the time to go is less than a year. Come Wednesday the time. we begin with the countdown with the number 10 in the month’s position.

The time will fly by. No doubt about it. The time since my boys were babes to the men they are now went by in a flash of light, much light one you experience from a camera. Poof and 23 years are gone. What I know is that in a similar “poof” my life will be gone. Not trying to be morbid, just saying it is what it is.

My decision to go to Portugal for part of my remaining time is tied to the fact that before I die, I want to immerse myself in another culture, another world. If you would, I want to shed this skin of 62 years

It was only last September that I really bought in to the idea of a major move this late in life. The 10 days I spent in Portugal in September  were a delight. The place is a great deal like the best of my youth.

Seafood, sunbathing and the surf are just a short stone’s throw away. Some of the shore towns have the same half carney/half townie feel that Ocean City had when I was a lad.

One of the biggest regrets about the upcoming that I have is the distance that will be between me and the people I love. I guess I am an existentialist. What is, what has been, what may be just need to be accepted.

My life has been driven by serendipity and there is no reason I should give up on that being my guiding force now.

No comments: