Friday, February 24, 2017

Just Another Day



Friday evening has come. Air here is still relatively warm. Our grey sky is very moisture laden. Tonight we are under a series of severe weather  watches. Because of how warm it has been a potential exists 
for tornadoes as this cold front pushes through . 

Every place has its demons, every place has its monsters. If I lived on the East Coast there would be Noreasters  and hurricanes. Here along the Canadian border the threat is always blizzard, and sometimes tornados.

I spent today working on a long and convoluted order. As it stands it looks like I will be stripping an automobile repair shop of it's license. I have had to go back and listen to the vast majority of the hearing for a second time. When you're dealing with the termination of someone's livelihood you don't want to leave anything to chance. After time passes my eyes get blurry staring at the screen. Still I should be able to get it done over the course of the weekend.

Today had some subtle and unexpected  delights. I had several short text conversations with friends. The cheered me up. Sometimes in a rush to do our work, to cloth and feed our families, to be part of the normal we forget that there are voices we need to listen to. We forget that sometimes we have to reach out to them first. A few quick phrasea here and there can remind someone of a long and shared history.

I took a couple of pictures to capture the nature of this February day. Kids are playing in a brown gray park with no snow to be seen. Old men walk their dogs up and down the streets several times each day. The normal here would have snow 12 inches deep and the temperature would not be 54°. The kids might still be playing but they would be building a snow fort. Time is not this day as time always was.

Last night after promising start I got bogged down in reading up on stoicism The author began following each of various threads the philosophical movement. My guess is that in a bit he'll return to the major elements of the doctrine. I hope so, the start of the book was so promising. In these remaining years I am going to refuse to let my mind idle too much.

No comments: