Monday, February 17, 2014

Day 35 of 365 (The Conundrum of Technology)

Up until now I have not used e-reading devices to enjoy novels. My approach may change. Lately I have noticed how empty my life is without daily reading of writing that is unrelated to work.

Two things awakened my mind to this.

First the morning paper was mis-delivered to my door the other day. Seeing news first thing in the morning in print form felt good. I enjoyed reading the flesh and blood print copy.

Second as I have detailed a friend had insisted I read Stoner by John Williams. It was wonderful. That sent me nosing about on the Amazon site. At first I started to look for the hard copy of Augustus by Mr. Williams. He won the National Book Award for it. Augustus seems not exist in print. It seems to be only available as an e-edition. So I continued on searching for something else to read. I like the feel of a bound volume in my hands.

Eventually I found a book that looked interesting. It is called The Golem and the Jinni: A Novel by Helen Wecker. Amazon has a heroin dealer like feature that lets you read the first chapter of the book online. Having consumed that taste I want to read this particular book. However I really don’t want to pay the price for a “new” book”. On the other hand the waiting list is too long at the public library. For a mere $9.99 I can get the e-book edition and I gather read it on my mobile or my laptop.

Ugh, while I prefer the feel of paper on my hand if this gets me reading so be it. Maybe tonight I will move into this realm.

Trust me I am not a technophobe. I like toys like iphones and digital communications. However that is something about the feel and smell of paper that is just like a communion with knowledge. I don’t know, maybe this is an old guy thing. Kids having grown up in the digital decade may not have the same sense of things.

 Life is change, how it differs from the rocks.

No comments: