Saturday, February 1, 2014

Day 32 of 365 (Snowy Saturday)



Today’s weather I will begin with it but I won’t dwell upon the meteorological conditions that surround me. An untrained eye either looking out my window or gazing at the Weather Channel (1225 on my cable) can see it is snowing again. Snowfall total predictions have varied widely. 

 Anticipating the worst I picked up my son from his dormitory and brought him home. Moose’s job is to shovel my driveway and my sidewalk clean during these “events”. Call it a wee bit of interest on the student loan I have cosigned on. 

Moose does a good job. He works diligently at most everything and I am proud of him for that. In return for this he will be fed and his laundry will be cleaned. And the laundry will also be folded. The way things are going light housework may become my highest and best use. 

 Despite the snow things had to be taken care of today. To nobody in the family’s surprise I had failed to mail two bills out on time so I had to run to the commercial venues to pay them. 

 Even with the now the journey this morning out and about was okay. In reality we were going out anyway because I needed some things at the store. Skim milk vanishes when the Moose is loose and around the place. Veggies too are at risk. 

 Even the main roads were mere two tracks but at least the traffic was moving slowly. A guess I am making is that in an effort to save money the local municipalities have again decided to wait. None of East Lansing, Lansing or Okemos will start to plow until most of the snow has fallen. 

 In riding around the air was white grey from the steady heavy snowfall. All the garish and the grand were equalized under the beauty of a new white coat. 

The to-do list was checked off. First I paid a bill at a bank. Then there was a trip to Biggby’s coffee for a big assed decaf. Then riding in our reliable little Prius we rode along the edge of a public golf course enroute to Sam’s Club. The snow has rendered the greens and fairway a winter delight. As we drove along the music played Richard Thompson’s King of Bohemia “…there is no rest for those God blessed and God blessed you best of all…” 

At Sam’s bill paid and groceries obtained. Then to Miejers and I made a quick purchase of a case of pop. A Dove chocolate bar was also snagged while the family went out to retrieve the car so as to be waiting at parcel pick up. Finally a trip to the Chinese to pick up a curry bar. 

 Curry bar? A curry bar is about the size of an oversized Hersey chocolate bar. It is divided into eight squares like a candy bar. You break off one square and drop it into the crock pot with carrots, peas, onions, potatoes and lamb and cook that all day. The house smells like Indian food for hours. 

 Somewhere in the midst of all this there was a stop at the local book store to try and find a tome to read this quiet day. The book was called Augustus by John Williams. It appears it is no longer in hard cover or softbound either. Here I go down the rabbit hole again. There are times and I don’t know if you experience them that you get something in your craw and you begin to search for it. The harder it is to find the more you want it. There really isn’t a good reason to want the thing as much as you do but you do. You check the usual channels, the local stores, Amazon and then you move into the places like Archive Books and the Curious Book Shop. In the end I will probably just download it from somewhere. 

 So no matter where you are click the link below and close your eyes. Let you mind make you a passenger in a vehicle with no set destination. The air outside is cold and you are bundled up. Off to you right if you can visualize it is a large expanse of flat unbroken land that leads to a point in the distance where a copse of trees stand. The air is filled with snow and there is no single being save you and the driver about. That is what one moment of my morning felt like today.

No comments: