Sunday, February 2, 2014

Day 29 of 365 (Red Riding: In the Year of Lord)




I didn’t mean to get involved watching a series noir movies this weekend but I did.  There is currently showing a series of three films that were made for British television currently airing on The Movie Channel.  I saw them listed and knew I didn’t want to pay to go out and see a film.  Thus I hit that little red button on the remote that is titled record.


Each film if you are a police drama fan will catch you, if you can get by the Yorkie accent.  These films are dark, dark, oh so very dark.  If you have ever watched any British films or television you will know most of the lead characters at least by sight. Probably the most high profile actor is the gent who was in the Lord of the Rings movies.  The stories are set in West Yorkshire and involve tales of child abduction, criminal misconduct, double dealing and copious bloodletting.


Both of the first two films end on a very, very down note.  Hint: don’t get attached to the main characters, or at least who you think the main characters are. Give yourself time to process the films afterward before going to bed.  My beloved Francie had to wake me from a moaning nightmare last night in that I dreamed I was in one of the more in your face scenes of the movie. 


Don’t let me scare you off, this is good film.  It just isn’t something you walk away from going, “That was a nice piece of fluff.”  No instead you will be asking a question more along the line of “Do we have any hard liquor in this house.”  Enjoy.

No comments: