Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Up the Mountain that is this Life


Tuesday, September 11, 2012
The start of fall is here. Summer may come back for a few days here and there but the air is cool in the morning and warm at midday. The light heading west in the morning coming from behind me is long and golden. Coffee tastes better and the warmth of the cup is nice in the early day’s air. The plants are taking on a rusty dusky kind of texture. There is such beauty in this season of decay and drive toward the dormant winter states.
Last night was hard. I had a school board meeting. It was not productive on the key issue before us. No blame will be laid. Nothing more will be said except that the competing visions of the seven people involved do not bode well for compromise or resolution. I will offer this, every bone in my body aches today from sitting tense as I watched the dance around the elephant in the room in the late evening hours.
Many Ways up the Mountain

There are many ways up the mountain, but each of us must choose a route to the divine that feels true to his own heart. It is not necessary for you to evaluate the paths chosen by others.

- Jack Kornfield, "Take the One Seat"


As I start my day I think about the above quote. Mr. Kornfield has been paraphrased by me. His quote talked about the conduct of meditation and I am not sure meditation is only the way to the divine. It is a way to the divine. Thus I tweaked the comment to reflect my vision of the path to enlightenment, at least my vision at this hour of this day.

In the light of morning, after a night of verbal sparring, I am thinking about my way up the mountain. With bones that ache and not as much sleep as is needed, I am left to wonder about the path I have taken in life. I will accept today as it is. I will try and show compassion and wisdom. I will be open. I guess that about sums it up.

No comments: