Thursday, July 26, 2018

Thinking, Walking and Being Seen




A Space True and North has existed for over a decade now. Blogs were the fashion when I created it. Blogging is no longer in vogue, or so it seems. Mostly people Twitter or use Instagram or interact through other forms of quick communication. Quick is the key.  We don’t have time for much else the soft margins of our lives have disappeared.  Twitter, I am less than impressed. We are governed by a human being who believes at Twitter is the way to conduct all affairs both those personal and those of state.

 

Each time we step further away from considered reflection we lose something. With each time saving tweak, we lose a bit of our humanity. I guess I should say it’s my opinion that we lose a bit of our humanity. Twitter and Facebook encourage immediate visceral responses. Sometimes we should hold our tongue and let our brain do its work before we act or speak. Sometimes we need to reflect and play the movie to the end before we act.  Playing the tape to the end is an Alcoholics Anonymous saying meaning consider each consequence that follows your next action to an ultimate conclusion. Once you have done that then and only then make a choice.

 

The other day I decided that I needed a vacation from Facebook. There are a couple specific factors that motivated me. One was deeply personal. Some others general. All sort of coalesced into a general discomfort with the negativity in the stream of current postings. Not posting on Facebook left me feeling an internal void. I still want to create words. Trying to scratch that creative itch I turned to my blog. I was somewhat shocked to find I have not posted in exactly 1/4 year.

 

Since I have turn my back on Facebook these three days I have found plenty of time to generate posts. I have also found more time to work on my amateur photographs. It is invigorating. Time is short, and I need to keep the spark alive mentally and artistically. Yes, it feels good to be writing.

 

This is a side note one funny thing happened to me yesterday. Because I walk to work every day and wear a bright red T-shirt, and because I’m walking at prime commute time, I am seen by many people who have known me. I had three separate people at three separate times talk to me about either seeing me walk or asking about why I walk so much. Apparently, I’m quite visible out on the byways of my community. So, it goes.

No comments: