Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Flying Again






Sunny cool morning today. The humidity is way down. The combination is a good thing. I have gotten an early start on my way into the office.

 

Yesterday after much agonizing and fighting with websites, I purchased two airfares to Portugal. It’s not the fighting with the websites which bothers me. What bothers me is the certainty I will eventually have to get on an airplane. Flying is the biggest issue. I am less afraid of flying now than I have been in the past. Still don’t like it. Valium will be needed to get me on board that long metal tube. Still, I feel I must go.

 

Every morning when I wake up I find something that troubles me immensely about what is occurring in my country, in this the land of my birth. I would never give up or disavow my American citizenship. But like someone in a long-term committed relationship hitting a really rough patch, I feel it is time we spend some time apart. No country is the shining city on the hill. But sometimes looking at a relationship from a distance gives perspective and a sense of how to move forward.

 

Several areas exist in my life where I feel it is time I gain perspective. Must be the philosophy I have been reading. The ethic of observe, consider, disassemble, re-construct and adopt has taken root in me.

 

Oh well it is back to the language podcasts again. Got to learn how to ask for more than beer in Portuguese.

No comments: