Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Beflore the Light

 
Posted by Picasa


When I am just about to walk in to pick up my morning caffeine this is the view I see. I won’t see it much longer because they are moving my office to a strip mall. Glancing down toward the east it is a typical urban view. Glass, bricks and concrete create a street canyon that leads straight to the river. I have been turning and opening the door at this store for a decade. Soon that repetitive act will end and the canyon will be a memory for me.

The manager of the coffee shop is a close friend. He too will be leaving soon. His wife will be taking employment somewhere else and he will follow. My conversations over the years with both he and his staff have been some of the most fun I have had. In a few weeks the canyon will remain but the world I have known there will be gone. Like a real canyon the place will be empty to me except for the wind blowing ever eastward.

1 comment:

John and Vicki Boyd said...

That canyon was empty, really, until you moved in. Made it a bit less cold and hard. Until I'd had all I could handle. Then I let the door hit me in the ass.........one last time. Finally that rock rolled over me. DON'T let it do the same to you.