Monday, August 9, 2010

With a Hat and Hair From Bob Dylan Circa 1977




We were riding in the car the other day. This is not unusual we run around a great deal on the weekends. We run to the Farmer’s Market. We run to the recycling center. We run to the mega mart. We run to the pool. We run to pick up and drop off children. Sometimes it feels like we never stop running.

Back before the home computer died I used an older version of Roxio on it to create a ton of mix discs. They have names like the History of Rock #1, #2, #3. Some are simply called Road Tunes. Often if there is a beloved disc in the home collection it will get copied so that a.) The CD reader in the car will display the song titles and b.) So the master disc will not get dinged and thus become unplayable.

Saturday we were riding the other day with Primus in the back seat solo. Secundus was still at camp. Bopping down the road to a mix disc the opening strains of the song linked below came on. Without hearing more than the opening seed shakers at the start of the studio version he said “It’s Aztec Two Step-Dean Moriarity.” He then commenced to sing the whole song start to finish. When he knows the words he sings mostly in tune and has a pleasant voice.

It made me happy. At least part of the warm feeling was that he didn’t reject all of “my music”. Some of it was that he felt free enough in the confines of our car to sing along. Our rule is as long as you aren't being silly you can sing the song on the radio/CD player, period. This requires self editing for those Green Day songs.

I don’t know which of my children will be the next Dean Moriarity but I have no doubt that both have some of the basic traits.


1 comment:

Wilde said...

Nice post. It tickled me because my oldest son wears a similar hat when he performs. He got it from my father. (By the way, I did post a comment earlier, so if it shows up too, oops.)