Monday, August 9, 2010

Reasons to Like Lansing

 
Posted by Picasa


When I was a child in South Jersey we stopped and shopped at roadside vegetable stands. This is were our produce came from, the local farms selling a part of there crops direct on routes so far off the beaten track and to not even qualify as blue routes. Lots of people had good sized gardens too. I am not saying it was healthier because there were lots of chemicals used on that stuff. Hey though, it was fresher and it had real flavors unlike the rubber ball tomatoes you find in stores today.

In the area where I live I have never noticed roadside stands to be as common as they were "back home". Up in cherry country there are some. Just outside of Elk Rapids there a couple stands that I really like. But these are the exception not the norm.

Over the years when I have wanted fresh produce I found myself shopping at the Lansing City Market. In a long standing building some years the market looked lively. Some years not so much. Over the past two years the market has moved. The space is smaller but for some reason it seems more vibrant. With a relocation to a new space the place seems to just be more inviting. If you haven't made the trip yet and if you are local, go do it.

Yup, the Lansing Market is another reason to like Lansing

No comments: