Wednesday, May 12, 2010

ASD or Just a Teenager?

Today I called my son at the end of the school day to see if he had arrived home and to ascertain if there had been events during the day of note. Upon reaching my oldest son I am able to elicit from his sparse conversational style that he had gotten an 85% on his biology test. This is a victory grades have been a challenge in this course all year long.

We had previously butted heads about studying for the biology test. ASD kids obviously don't like to do anything twice. I however had been riding him to go back and reread and then to review all of the section’s review questions. Grudgingly he had gone over the material maybe twice.

Well anyway having been informed of the grade I told him that studying seemed to have made a difference and that had he gone over the material one more time the extra review would have helped him get an A. He replied no it wouldn't. When I asked why not he told me it was because he had studied the wrong section.

My suggestion was that he had to use his planner next time. He replied he had used his planner. Per Primus "Dad my planner said study for biology test, it just didn't say what section to study.”

As God is my witness this is a true account of the conversation. I think I need a drink.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Totally ASD! And obviously getting more out of listening in class this week than he even knew. The planner comment is a quote from my life as an adult a half written note to self that is remotely close to what I needed to remember.