Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Asperger's and the Proposed Change of DSM Status

As most of you know I am the parent of a very loving, very unique child. Primus has Asperger’s. We live with this every day in so many ways that we don’t even notice some of the little things. There are no screws on the face plates on many of the light switches in our home because in his particular version of Asperger’s the OCD component compels him to build and disassemble. Hey some kids collect coins you know?

Primus has many other traits that are no different than any other child that are age appropriate and absolutely infuriating. Penis and fart joke stand out as prime examples. However how he approaches life and how others approach him require planning and skill.

In recent years the emergence in popular culture of figures with Asperger’s, figures who are sympathetic has helped greatly. The character of Temperance Brennan on Bones is one example, but there clearly are a number of others. Mainstream magazines have picked up on the condition, at times it feels like the disorder de jour. This special identity distinct of Asperger’s distinct from Autism has actually opened doors for my son in obtaining minor accommodations that have made a major difference in his life. Because his coach had a general awareness of the issues and others around the coach had that general awareness, subtle differences in approach to motivating and coaching Primus have let him play a much more significant role on his sport’s team.

While I can rationally and logically understand the proposal to do away with the diagnosis of Asperger’s merging it with appropriate clinical modifiers into a broader autism rubric, I have concerns about the action. One of the main concerns is the perception and resultant action of administrative educational professionals who are not specifically trained with kids now defined as having Aspergers. (Note well I don’t say suffering, I say having Asperger’s. My son does not suffer a disease with a chronic or acute pathology, he lives with his unique personality constaints.)

My major concern is a lessening of expectations post merger will follow for Asperger’s kids because the educational system by virtue of its one size fits all tendency, something fostered by our current tough economic times, will lump these children in with more profoundly impacted autistic youth. I am afraid these kids will be not held to the high standards of educational achievement they are capable of.

While listening to the story on American Public Media I heard a young woman talking about Asperger’s. The last five minutes highlight my concerns here.

http://thestory.org/archive/the_story_969_Nomi_Kaim_.mp3/mediafile_view



5 comments:

John and Vicki Boyd said...

I've never understood the DSM's definitions created by majority vote. Something becomes a diagnosable "status" because 51% of those voting say it is???? Like homosexuality, among other things, was? Has always been problematic.

Susan said...

I have been wondering what will come of this myself.
Oh, homosexuality used to be a paraphilia in the DSMV didn't it? I have such respect for medical professionals who are dictated to by political activists.

Skyler said...

Nice information provided. Treatment for aspergers consists of rehabilitation that affects behavior management policy and address poor communication skills, obsessive or repetitive routines, and physical clumsiness. The most successful treatment absorbs a combination of psychotherapy, special education, behavior modification, and support for families.

Anonymous said...

Our version of dealing with the clumsiness is having Primus play on a hockey team. It has been eight years and many $$$$$ but it really has been a help.

Lisa said...

I am still formulating my comments regarding the changes to the DSM to be sent to the committee, I have about a week to clean up the thoughts. You can bet I have a few opinions regarding the changes! I will keep you in mind when sending my review to them. Not that one opinion will change their language however it never hurts to voice an opinion when solicited for the opinion.