Thursday, July 10, 2008

The Water of Life


"My life is like a stroll on the beach...as near to the edge as I can go."
--Thoreau

In all my life there has never been anything that gave me peace and calm like wading into the water at Ocean City, NJ on a calm warm summer evening as the sun was going down. It was as if I was one with all of existence. There are only a few times you ever get to feel that sensation. Sexual climax doesn't do it, job promotions don't do it, romantic emotional couplings don't do it.... Only the water, the sky and the fading light have ever brought me peace. At the water's edge I will lay me down and await the coming of the indigo evening.

4 comments:

John and Vicki Boyd said...

Perhaps if sexual climax doesn't do it, you're not doing it correctly.

gmanitou said...

John Boy,

The flesh fails.

To quote a line from a play I saw years ago how many times can you look for enlightment in sexual gratification? Maybe you got a glimpse of it there once or twice early on but after that it is all variation on a theme (and I am not discounting that it is obviously fun).

And uhm as far as it goes I am not sure there is a correct way. On that note I leave with the Woody Allen retort to the question of whether sex was dirty, "Only if you do it right".

John and Vicki Boyd said...

Woody (and is that REALLY his name????) is right.

My best to the "J" team.......those of you whom remain.

Keep in touch.......with both your inner and outer selves.

J

Richard said...

This post recalls one of my favorite Scotty Bowman stories. The Wings are, well, I don't exactly know where they are but it doesn't matter because because all arenas have scoreboards and what has happened here is that Scotty's gotten himself mesmerized by the scoreboard hanging over center ice and while he's eyeballing it the time for a line change comes and goes and the boys on the ice are getting gassed and finally the boys on the bench start screaming at him to change lines and Scotty says something like, "Sorry boys. I was just staring at the scoreboard," to which one of the guys on the bench says, "Christ's sake, Scotty. It's just fucking lights!"

What does this have to do with this? This: Christ's sake, Jay. It's just fucking water.