Thursday, July 31, 2008

Smells of Reality

Thursday, July 31, 2008

In what I believe will ultimately be a vain attempt to appease my failing gallbladder I have been aggressively cutting extra fat from my diet. The calculation is simple, higher fat = more pain. As a result of this shift I have been eating more “direct” foods. I have been consuming a large number of fruits, veggies and grains. While this has resulted in more trips to farmers markets and the like the results have surprised me.

Night before last I made an omelet. Using Pam® or something akin to it (it was in a blue spray can) as the pan lubricant I whipped two eggs together and commenced to cook that yellow shell. Then I added as the center contents 3 or 4 spears of freshly blanced asparagus and one diced fresh organic tomato. I did cheat and add just about 1 ½ teaspoons of shredded (by hand) parmesan cheese. Wow. The texture of real vegetables was something I had almost forgotten. The taste of that fresh from a roadside stand tomato was just awesome. Sensuous food, what a concept that is. Next time there will be mushrooms, flavorful mushrooms.

Clearly I am not a food writer. Clearly this is not commentary on Kant or Nietzsche. But sometimes the rediscovery of something simple is enough to make a day worth living. And I forgot shallots, next time there will be a hint of shallot too.

5 comments:

John and Vicki Boyd said...

You need to read Barbara Kingsolver's book on eating "locally". She and her family lived for a year on ONLY what they were able to produce themselves or obtain freshly and locally. Scary book. Follow her rules and you'll feel much better. Went to our local farmer's market this AM, and are growing our own tomatoes on the deck (at least we were prior to a hail storm a week or so ago). We enjoy eating locally as much as possible. And next week we tour some of MICHIGAN's finest wineries (assuming you left us some wines when you left T. C.). Try it. You'll like it.

J & V

Sue Schimmel Ward said...

Yeah, I've got to lower the fat and raise the naturalness, as well. We had shrimp last night: though that isn't a "heart healthy" meal. Do you remember (or course you do...better than me) when we were 20 and could eat ANYTHING? and then wash it down with alot of SOMETHING ELSE? Ahhh: them were the days...

John and Vicki Boyd said...

Them days is GONE. And perhaps, given the obesity "epidemic", they should be. Besides, fresh really tastes best (tho we never knew that when we were kids, since we never saw a date on our food.......) Who KNOWS how we survived!!!

ONEWORLD said...

So Jay...what WERE you eating before the fall of gall.

gmanitou said...

The gall became the issue after a couple of traditional guy meals involving ground beef/hamburger, that is greasy fatty all American goodness. On both occasions the pain just got horrendous through the night and after a trip to the ER (on both occasions roughly 18 months apart) and after follow cardiac stuff they couldn't nail it down as the ticker. Finally they did a scan where they injected synthetic fat into me and said the poor puppy was way sub par in its ejection rate.