Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Static in the Attic

Whenever I post an e-mail or a blog entry I wonder if what I am doing makes any sense. Through the years I have been drawn most strongly to the words of the contemplatives like Thomas Merton. Often I find their insights far more valuable that anything that has been kicked about and hashed out in public forums.

To that end I noted a paragraph from an interesting article in the Times today. The article does not lead to a point I am comfortable with but the question tucked inside the article is profound. What about the noise?

“The question from our standpoint is, how you find signal in the noise?” said Peter Fenton, a partner at Benchmark Capital, which recently invested in FriendFeed. “If you assume the volume of information continues to grow exponentially, it is going to keep getting harder and harder to figure out where you want to spend 30 minutes to two hours online.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/04/technology/04essay.html?em&ex=1210219200&en=59f706075de18e15&ei=5087%0A#

No comments: