Sunday, March 18, 2018

Another in a Long Series of Sundays



‘Tis Sunday morning. A light of gold is falling bright cutting through the brisk but not biting air on its way to warm the earth.  The day now begins to take shape.  As I clean the kitchen of the remnants of my wife’s cooking of cabbage and corned beef from yesterday’s celebration of Saint Patrick, the late great Stan Rogers is singing in full voice that he will go to sea no more.  The Jeannie C is a beautiful song.

My youngest, the one who sings but is so tentative in marketing himself that he cannot figure out how to form a band so as to showcase his vocals, is off early to church.  He goes early each week to see if there is an ad hoc choir he can sing in.  Whether there is a choir depends on who shows up. A friend has suggested a docu-film about an Irish singer and that is probably on the agenda for he and I today.  Strange, one part of my family throws in with the Scots but my son with as English a surname as they get, is fired up with songs of the uprising and against the oppression of the crown.

My wife is off to Weight Watchers.  Me, I could not do it.  The last week at work was tough, I mean really tough, and there were several times I thought about why I keep working.  Bottom line it is for the money, duh.  But my stressed and twitchy mitts clawed at chocolate and scooped large portions at meal time to calm the stress and angst.  Yeah, I tried the walking this thing out and I tried using my mat to meditate it away.  It is hard to meditate well when candy wrappers crinkle in your pockets and you sit down to assume the contemplative position.  These did not work for the week really sucked and I found myself in the feed bag just far too often.  Because of the stress binge, and noting that last week was a travel binge, I just could not face the silent grey and black digital judgment of the scale today.  I will start anew this morning, I swear it.  My skinny jeans are just too tight.

My other son, the computer weirdo, is up in bed still.  Good news is that it turns out he likes cooked cabbage with a wee bit of bacon in it.  This fact was discovered yesterday.  Bad news is that the cabbage must process through his system.  All open flames are banned from the house today.  I don’t want the world to see headlines in the style of “Suburban Home Destroyed due to Gas Leak of Unknown Origin.” Still, let us celebrate another vegetable added to the palate of a twenty something carnivore.

My goals today are simple. Wash the bed linens and some stray laundry.  Walk 10,000 steps.  Read some more of a young adult ghost novel.  Watch a movie about a man who sings Irish folks songs.  Continue on my task of trying to figure out what I need to keep and what I need to lose as I count off the days to the end of my career.


The sun is beautiful today.  The music is warm.  For all the stress and all the struggle, it is a great day to be alive.


1 comment:

John and Vicki Boyd said...

Just don’t let the job destroy what makes you YOU. More to life than money.....