Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Change Comes to Even Old Dogs


“Life is change, how it differs from the rocks…” an old Jefferson Airplane lyric best heard toasted.

 

Two things.  First, I got an Amazon Fire HD 8.  This is a far cheaper device that the iPad, but it does what I want. The Fire plays Amazon Prime, it plays Netflix and it allows me to download books via Hoopla.  I have read two novels One was the second book in a detective crime series (yes it was trash) and the other Night Train to Lisbon.  Night Train had moments that so paralleled my life that I don’t think I could give a fair review of it. It was philosophical.  It was a travelogue.  It was a novel of intrigue.  At times the philosophical parts waxed too esoteric but the core issues of self as distinct from the world and what to do with the remaining years of one’s life were well done.  Who knew it would take an e-reader to reengage me with the passion I have for literature, albeit some it quite trashy.  Just so you know I have downloaded Swann’s Way to see if a time limit will force me to finish it.

The second thing is that my office has completely redone how my work is done.  Our move to total electronic filing, reviewing and transmission of Orders is taking some getting used to.  Not a lick of paper is supposed to come in front of me, just electronic representations in PDF form.  I find this somewhat of a pain.  Often during a hearing, I have to discuss little details from papers the Petitioners have sent in.  this means I must flip back and forth between electronic documents that I must hold open on my desktop.  A cluttered desktop is a pain. I think I will adjust over time, we shall see.  The learning curve is a pain in the tail however.

 

No comments: