Wednesday, January 11, 2017

The Cocoon

A fight erupts daily in my soul between the workaday demands of my life and my inner spirit that wants to fly away on the winds of the arts and philosophy and pure knowledge.  Each day I listen to misery upon misery so as to earn the cash money to allow the boys to go to university. My work can be so very, very draining, but so can dealing with the boys.  Still I want to read about the ancient Greeks.  Still I want to learn to write a decent poem.  Still I want to correspond with people I care about.


But there are only so many hours in the day. But there are only so many possible days left in my life.


Why is it when we feel the spark within us to break out of the cocoon of my daily requirements that it is so damn hard to work through? I find there is a tough as nails unending silk web of obligation and of duty. 


I think I will have to go back and read On Caring again. Right now I am thinking that in order to help anyone else I have to grow again.

2 comments:

Alan Harris said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alan Harris said...

Let me know when you want to hang out and write bad poetry together...and get it published. Also if interested...Wayne State has a Masters in Creative Writing, one night a week. 5 years. 75% off tuition (students over 59).