Tuesday, January 24, 2017

A Certain Sense of Disquiet

The Red Hot Chili Peppers are playing on the coffee shop music stream.  The song is okay.  It is sort of a bland aural wallpaper; the bland tune mixes with the cacophony of colors this caffeine dispensary uses to try and convey a sense of hipness.  The next result is that the place has a certain familiarity and a certain manufactured warmth to it.  The writing space could be worse.

My coffee is cold and I really don’t have long to write.  I write today in a climate of fear.  I am watching events unfold that leave me with a sense that things are going to turn a great deal more troubling here much quicker than I anticipated.  Did people in Great Britain have this sense of dread in the days that led up to the Nazi’s invasion of Poland in 1939?

Why do I feel ill at ease? Well, I have watched the new administration try and de-legitimize the press on factual reporting on incidents that are inconsequential.  What are they going to do with the big stuff? No, I don’t think I am paranoid. 

I am one of the people in this country that has a more expansive knowledge of the Constitution than most.  I took many courses on the topic both at university and in law school.  If the attacks on the press stick, then we are left with a monolith of a government with no checks and balances. We are left with an inexperienced politician leading us into turbulent times. The man at the helm is not known for nuanced behavior.

I can’t put my head into the sand, I just can’t.  How I will make my voice known is an open question.  I simply know that I feel called to action. I truly believe that what happens next will make the 1960s look like a picnic.



No comments: