Friday, October 16, 2015

Morning Comes With a Surprise


 

…[I]n Buddhism, we talk about extending our arms and our hearts outward, about reaching out to the whole world and embracing all, without exception. We talk about truly seeing the ones standing before us and loving them deeply, just as they are, with their many faults. That's the secret of the spiritual path. 

 

—Vanessa R. Sasson, "Teaching Ground"

 

 

My path, I followed it this morning.  Walking in today the air was cooler and I was occupied with my smartphone. Glancing up every once in a while so not to be hit by cars crossing streets, I ran down the events in the lives of those I know as digitally presented.  

 

Looking up I merely looked forward. What I saw were trees that had been so beautiful just days before were half barren. Mostly I noticed it was a great deal darker walking in that it had been even a month ago.

 

Travelling west on Michigan Avenue I got to my turn on Friendship Court. Just as I was taking that right angle change in directions one of the baristas from the coffee shop was jumping out of her car.  She hunkered down in a crouch facing east and began aiming her phone past me.  Turning around I saw spread out across the sky the most beautiful sunrise.  As dark and gloomy as the night before had been this array of gold and purple was its antithesis.   

 

Sometimes we have to look up to see God’s wonder.  Sometimes we have to be open to what will be.  Sometimes someone has to gently if inadvertently push us towards the beauty in existence. See, truly see, someone else today.  They may be a sunrise just about to explode in the brilliance of a new day.





No comments: