Thursday, October 15, 2015

Halloween is Coming



Halloween is coming. As I walked in to the office today I heard fragments of songs from forty years ago. One after another on a bit of an endless loop they were playing in my head. Bits of old Fairport Convention, Strawbs and Renaissance tunes floated in my consciousness. All of these bands have songs that remind me of the fall season. Tam Lin by Fairport stands out as does the Autumn Trilogy from the Strawbs. 

Before several of my friends pipe up I know I should listen to some new music. In a manner I do, but the songs are not mainstream. Most days I hear one new song courtesy of Toronto’s CBC Morning program. The most recent was Johnny Reid’s Picture of You. It was pretty nice. 

https://youtu.be/amMuJBlJPE8

I digress. As I walked in this day the signs of mid/late autumn were growing quite strong. On one stoop there was a pumpkin painted white with glittery hair. On a number of porches there were pumpkins, big pumpkins. On house had not scary but clearly Halloween, scarecrows. I guess they were scarecrows maybe there is another crafter’s term for them. These broom based figures reminded me of the joy of taking my kids walking for Halloween. John Lee loved to dress up as the monsters that Halloween holds dear on its scary side. Loren, well my favorite of his was the Frank Sinatra get up when he would sing “Fly Me to the Moon” when the door opened and the candy came into sight.

As I watched the trees thinning out into skeletal frames I found myself praying after a fashion. I found myself hoping that the day would be good for all the people in the houses I passed. I longed for peace for the people I must talk to as part of my work. Mostly I tried to send off good will and intentions (vibes if you would) for the world at large. I love this time of year, it makes me happy.




No comments: