Thursday, August 6, 2015

From a High Window


Last night I dreamed. My mind's taking of odd little pathways through that nether region, a space that lies between waking and dark slumber, is nothing unusual. Often I travel  expansive journeys in that space. Behind fluttering eyelids before the flooding of morning light I see the what ifs. It is like looking at a world shrouded in fog from a high window.

Often in that land behind the mirrors of my day just passed my mind strings together those issues at the top of my consciousness mixing them with the collective common wisdom stored somewhere in my brain's recesses. Apparently my mind tries to offer me knowledge I have forgotten or hidden away.

Last night I dreamed I was riding a bicycle across a broad university campus. The campus was woven with pathways and several copse of trees. There was a small river that ran through it. I was peddling my bicycle furiously; I must've been late for something like an exam or  meeting someone.

Suddenly in the midst of my path there was a pile of broken up concrete. I could have wound my way through it but it would've taken time, time I did not have.

To avoid the loss of time I took a less travelled path which if it had been opened would've put me at the place I was headed smack dab at the exact minute I was to be there. The path was thin and more wooded. There on the trail as it narrowed I came upon an even greater pile of rocks. This pile was one so massive and so oddly situated that I could not pass aside it or climb over.

I woke.

Seems to be in my mind was telling me to take on the difficulties that may come. I mean it sounds like the perfect metaphor for saying address the small conquerable tasks and don't avoid them.  If you don't what you will come upon next may be insurmountable due to delay.

Dreams are funny like that.

I am so glad I am not on the school board anymore. I  used to have dreams like this all the time.