Monday, June 8, 2015

Into the Woods with Robin - The Joy of a Damn Good Book



Often I tend to assume everyone had similar experiences to me growing up.  Intellectually I know that is not true.  However I am sure there are some commonalities of the lives lived among the people I have as my friendship circle.

One experience that seems to me would have to be a shared one is that moment when you discovered you loved reading.  Lawyers, advertising gurus, bureaucrats, political operatives, college instructors these are all callings, these are all professions that require you read capably. You only come to capable reading by doing copious amounts of it.  And you only get the skills to read like that was because once a singular book caught your attention. The words within that leather or cloth bound binding sucked you into the joys of discovering a good story.

When I was looking for illustrations for my last post I came upon an image from The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood.  Immediately as I looked at it I was transported back to the third grade. There I was at that exact moment when Miss Gleason had allowed me to take a copy of that old chestnut home with me. Once opened the book the words and graphics transported me to a different place and time.  The people around me ceased to be.  Suddenly by following those black lines strung together into words and sentences I was in medieval England just after the Norman Conquest.  Lush and verdant was the hardwood forest known as Sherwood.

Scenes from that book have stayed with me, like Littlejohn and Robin Hood fighting with staffs on the log.  And then there was Robin being carried across the river on Friar Tuck’s back. These were just delightful scenes to me. What images I have come from my imagination and not the Errol Flynn movie.  Having read the Merry Adventures the movie felt flat for me.  It was not the story my imagination had told me as I read the book.

Working my way through the book I would linger on the illustrations.  I would add so much into the story from what I imagined had been said and done in the moments before and after the one captured in the illustration.  The images I found online today sparked my imagination and threw me back into that book.

When I reached the end of the book I was crestfallen.  As Robin betrayed and beaten pulls on his bow to send his arrow into the wood to mark his burial place I was as sad as a third grader could be. But the book was a whole, it was a joyful narrative. My sadness to not stop me from going back to read it again and again.  One book sent me on the search for more books that would feel like that, complete and whole. 

Many books try to tell a complete story.  Few do it well.  The Sound of Waves by Mishima is one.  The Demon in the Freezer is another.  Good Bye Mr. Chips is a third.  But this is not what matters, what matters is that we all opened a book at some point in our lives and were entranced, enthralled and taken. 

In recent weeks I have been making it a point to get at least a book a week from the library.  I have been reading fantasy novels, contemporary novels and tales of social injustice.  Some of the reads have been fluffy and quick and some it has pained me to think about what would be on the next page.  But I will not stop reading again because there is a joy in the words.

When I look at the illustration above I see the loss and melancholy of a hero.  Without books so much of human experience would not be within my imagination.




No comments: