Monday, June 8, 2015

Before You Whine at me About the Actual Syle of the House Please Note I am not a Scholar of Housing Syles


Someone was trying to make a proclamation with this roof. For my money the statement was made. Me, I can’t tell who decided to make the statement or why they made the statement but clearly this is not a form follows function situation.

I am assuming this house was constructed at least sixty years ago. Given the neo-Tudor elements someone, be it the architect or the owner, was taken with the images of Elizabethan England. Did it come from a NC Wyeth illustration of a book like Robin Hood or Men of Iron? Or perhaps given the nature of the neighborhood the original owner had travelled to England as a professor and was taken by the eye catching nature of the style.

On the other hand the owner may have not be the person with the inspiration. Maybe this came from the builder having seen this as a developing trend. There are other Tudor or neo-Tudor residences in the community. Perhaps the builder or architect pitched this place and its unique roof as a statement home. I don’t know the answers to any of these questions. I just know that when you get out of a car and walk through a neighborhood you sense a great deal more about the place.


No comments: