Saturday, November 23, 2013

My First Love Was A Wicked Winding Road…






In cleaning my kitchen I come to hear artists I normally wouldn’t hear. I have a little radio that allows me to sit my old iPhone in a cradle and play Pandora.  I have a James McMurtry channel that but hitting the like/dislike button had become a bit of an Americana channel.  Most of the songs are ballads albeit with rocky guitar riffs.  Most of the songs are by men and carry a bit of murder ballad flavor.  

Two artists that I have come to like quite a bit in the past year or so are Reckless Kelly and Chris Knight.  The Reckless Kelly song that pops up often is called A Wicked Winding Road.  A Wicked Winding Road reminds me of my dreams at age 20 or so. Knowing full well that I had wild dreams but a built in protestant guilt governor the song sort of raises the same feelings in me that reading On the Road did  I go back to those dreams from time to time. Emotion stirrings come to the surface on those visits not really with regret but rather a warm but melancholy nostalgia.  How much lay ahead, how much I would achieve, it was only limited by what I was willing to gamble.  Truth be told I really wasn’t much of a gambler.  http://youtu.be/B38pNFM9a3k

Chris Knight is an entirely different kettle of fish.  He is a down home Harlan County Raylan Givens kind of singer. Knight sings a great ballad for the loser.  I don’t think I am a loser but I know so many of the people in his songs.  Knight’s songs are about alt.americana moments that have gone sideways and have gone sideways so far that you just can’t fix it. You only can live with what has happened displaying the scars incurred. It is only by grace that I did not end up down that road.  Enjoy http://youtu.be/YVXI4l_JU5Q

No comments: