Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Life is Change How if Differs from the Rocks


We are usually living our life in the vain hope for something or someone to make our life easier, to make our life better. The joy of our life must come from bearing what must be borne, from doing what must be done. It is not so much that it has to be done; it is simply there and so we do it. …[O]ur vain hope for a resting place somehow makes us ignorant and unappreciative of what is here right now. – Charlotte Joko Beck, Everyday Zen



Light rain in the pre dawn grey. It can hardly be called rain. As I enter my building I see signs that the green space next to my office will soon disappear. It is on this lot that I have photographed so many little weeds/little wild flowers over the past few years. It is across this lot that I have observed the steeple of the Korean Baptist Church in morning mist and fading evening light. I am a little sad to see this space go. The view of that church steeple amid the green of summer brought me peace.



Change is a constant in our living of our only life. Change must be borne especially as in this case when I don’t own the property and therefore don’t own the view. To have believed the space would have remained green forever was a vain hope. Modern life in the modern west does not work like that. For the time it was allotted to me this formally green field was a resting place, but now it is time to move on.

No comments: