Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day


Monday, May 28, 2012

Since Saturday at about 8 a.m. I have been mulching, mowing, weeding, planting and doing the basics of summer gardening.  When I was a kid I hated gardening.  Hated may not be as strong a word as the feeling I had really was. Now it is part of the rhythms of my life.  

For years now I have planted tomatoes and basil.  I have some other herbs out there like rosemary and tarragon.  I think I may have planted a bell pepper.  I have given up on melons, at least the ones that grow in the ground.  Of all the vegetables I think tomatoes are the best.  I have a variety of heirlooms that I plant.  I cannot tell you the joy I feel eating real tomatoes and not the rubber balls colored red that fill the supermarket shelves.  

I did a couple of other odd jobs.  I got the back yard fountain working.  I had to disassemble the little pump motor but I did get it clean.  Now it is just gurgling away. I can’t fix much.  Still, being able to take care of a little job feels quite good.

No comments: