Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Seeking the Good

We seek good but we find disturbance. We cry for peace but there is none. We trust too much in ourselves really. It is time to let go and trust in the divine. Seek the holy.

Another day will fly by today. Sitting in a suit and tie I will be listening to people tell me stories (some credible, some not believable and most falling in a very murky soup between the two), of redemption from addiction. I will hear man of the same phrases again and again repeated as if they were part of a catechism of recovery. One day at a time, you are only as sick as your secrets, meeting makers make it and a plethora of other maxims will be recited in my general direction.

And then the day will be over.

Another night will then fly by with “events”. Sunday was hockey in metro Detroit, Monday was the school board meeting, Tuesday was my wife’s investment club meeting, tonight will be hockey in Jackson, tomorrow will be psychologist & young men’s choir & a Michigan Tastes dinner, Friday will be hockey and so will Saturday. Sunday will be Thanksgiving at the church. Then the cycle will reset except that there will be a bit of time spent on the road for the feast of dead bird.

It is hard to seek the holy in the endless rush between “stuff”. Still, you have to do it.

Last night at 11 p.m., I stopped the rush and committed to making a Vietnamese noodle soup to serve my family for breakfast. Rice noodles soaked, star anise, cinnamon, beef stock, onion, and ginger boiled. Pork was sliced thin. This variation on Hanoi noodle dish became breakfast today. As it cooked for the hour it took to make last night the house smelled of wonderful oriental neighborhoods in big cities. Taking each step of food preparation in its due time I stepped into the holy. The stock boiled until midnight. As I changed the water in the noodles to continue to allow them to soften I was lost in doing the job right.

I search for good. Sometimes I find it in simple acts for others.

No comments: