Monday, November 7, 2011

Refreshed/Not Refreshed

My wife was gone for the weekend. We have friends who have a gorgeous and spacious “cabin” on Lake Michigan by Elk Rapids. She went up and met with her female cadre that used to get together once monthly for a “bitches brunch”. This was ergo the “bitches weekend”, their terminology not mine. The weather was perfect and she came back refreshed and invigorated. Ugh. Might I be fighting off some jealousy? Yup. Could envy be involved? Sure.

As for me I was with the kids and it was as you might imagine a battle of will and wits. Secundus had to work on a paper. Being in an advanced English program he has a 3-5 page paper due each week in English. This week his mission was to compare and contrast the behaviors of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde with current psycho-medical thought on multiple personality disorders. Such work requires online research. Online research means Secundus was using a computer. Using a computer leads to gaming. Gaming leads to Dad getting apoplectic. Arggh. Did I in my envy mention that my wife was enjoying one of the most beautiful weekends of several recent falls sitting on a beach by a campfire watching the horizon on Lake Michigan. Drinking wine with good friends too.

On Thursday Primus got the word he did not make the hockey team for our local high school. More on this will follow in a subsequent post. There is bitterness involved.

On Friday before my wife left to go eat ambrosia and walk long stretches of beautiful beach I got on the horn and started searching for somewhere Primus could play stick hitting hard rubber biscuit on ice. The local league refused to put a midget team on the ice this year. The cause might have been the dope smoking by several team members last year. Or the brawling amongst ourselves and without teams or maybe it was just the pain in the ass factor of it all.

Having no local teams we had to look elsewhere. Most midget teams are either in Detroit metro or in Grand Rapids. I got lucky in that there is a team in Jackson half the distance to Grand Rapids that needed bodies. From what I saw of them on Saturday they can use a little muscle. Many e-mails and texts followed. Eventually I got another kid to sign on to play who also got cut from our local high school. Thus we will have a plan of transport for alternate weeks.

Primus and I went down to Jackson with the other kid’s family on Saturday night. We watched the last few minutes of their game. Turns out a couple of players used to play in our league but when they realized they wouldn’t make high school they shifted to a less expensive league than our local one. It was good to see some familiar faces.

Sunday was spent waiting to see if the kids got rostered. If you aren’t on the roster you can’t get on the ice. There was a game Sunday and if they were rostered they would have played. They didn’t so we have to wait until Wednesday to hit the ice and it will only be a practice. Such is life. But the waiting and calls and texts burnt up half the day. The other half a day I spent weed whacking and doing winter prep on the exterior of the house. I ache today.

Back to my wife, with her new Iphone 4s she came home refreshed showing me the well shot and quite lovely video of the warm wonderful campfire on Lake Michigan at sunset. She talked about how invigorated she was. She looked at me and said you really do need a night away from the kids. Double Argggh.

Life and nothing but. I need some time away. Triple Arggh.

Okay I am better now.

1 comment:

ONEWORLD said...

Jay, your Arggh of kid busy will turn to Arggh of empty time, Arggh of where to focus your loving energy. Enjoy it while you can. They grow into men too soon.